Types of Edge Protection Brackets
- Tile bracket
- Corrugated iron roof bracket
- Fascia bracket
- Gable bracket
- Concrete bracket
Selecting a Suitable Roof Edge Protection System
When choosing whether a particular temporary system is suitable, you should ensure;
- Designed, manufactured and tested per AS/NZS 4994.1
- The designer/manufacturer/supplier must correctly provide instructions for using the system.
- Instructions should include safe installation/dismantling, suitable configurations, acceptable roof types, and system limitations.
- The site can accommodate the safe erection and disassemble of the system, e.g.
- Is there sufficient space for a mobile elevating work platform?
- Is there overhead or underground services?
- Are site ground conditions suitable?
- Is the system suitable for the roof supporting structure.
- Will it maintain the system’s designed integrity and strength? Consult with competent persons if unsure.
- Does the system follow the roof’s profile?
- Will it ensure no gaps which a person could fall through?
- Can workers safely access and exit from the roof without stepping over or through the guardrail system?
Note: Scaffolding may be used as a temporary system – if the scaffold complies with Australian Standard AS/NZS 4994.2 Temporary edge Protection, Part 2: Roof edge protection- Installation and dismantling.
Before the erection or dismantling of the temporary Roof Edge Protection System, make sure:
- A competent person develops a method for installing and dismantling in consultation with all relevant parties. The method should describe the tasks and work sequence to protect users from falls. The methodology should also define any exclusions zones and provide a layout plan. Methodology that requires work above 2m in height should be documented in a site-specific Safe Work Method Statement.
- Confirm the location and voltage of overhead powerlines before the commencement of work. Maintain safe distances and ensure controls are in place as per the Safeworks Code of Practice for work near overhead powerlines.
- Workers receive the necessary instruction, training, and supervision before installing and dismantling the edge protection system.
Installation/dismantling of Roof Edge Protection
Only persons with the required knowledge, skills, training, correct equipment, the manufacturer’s recommendations, and the developed methodology should install or dismantle the edge protection system. Temporary edge protection systems should include:
- Top, mid and bottom rails or toe-boards with gaps not exceeding 450 mm. Check impact loads of toe-boards if used in place of bottom rails.
- Toeboards or mesh infills that prohibit tools, materials or debris from falling unless exclusion zones exist.
- Ensure no space between the roof edge and guttering – position guardrails 100mm beyond the roofline.
- A distance of not less than 150mm and not greater than 275mm between the roof cladding.
- Butlin Maxi Prop Brochure
- Safe Work Australia – Scaffolding
- Where should I position my Acrow Props
- Prosecution Details | Prosecutions Database | Department of Commerce
Buy Edge Protection
Australian Scaffolds has edge protection systems for sale, and you can purchase conveniently and securely online with fast delivery across Australia by visiting www.AustralianScaffolds.com.au. Or visit our store at 71 Hobart Street, Riverstone NSW, to check out the great range of Butlin Products, including Acrow Props, Edge Protection, Mobile Scaffolds, Rubbish Chutes, Trestles & more.
Above all, with over 25 years of industry experience, in designing, engineering, and building scaffolding, we are happy to offer no-obligation free advice. Call 1300 919 905 and speak to a qualified, friendly scaffolder today.
Your order is important to us, and we make every effort to process and deliver your order as promptly as possible. Orders within Australia will be shipped via our carrier unless you pick up or specify your carrier.
- Dispatched the next business day after receipt of payment.
- Orders subject to the availability of stock.
- Expect delivery within 1-5 business days.